Here are a few time saving tips from our members
The one thing that I do is top prioritize my top three agenda items in a given day – but only 3, no more. I do them FIRST. Top of the list is defined by importance, not by desire.
There are two tasks: “demand and batch”. The tele or email is not a demand, but gets in line after your top three agenda items are completed. Something to shoot for.
Look at your inbox. Anything that’s been in the basket longer than 30 days, just throw out. Chances are, if you haven’t needed it or had an inquiry about it, who cares? Of course that is assuming you have done the first thing Ali said: don’t move a piece of paper twice.
Focus your attention on one thing, completely, and then move onto the next thing, completely. I learned this from studying Ki Aikido. We have an exercise called 8 Directions. We turn, focus all of our energy and attention in one direction, then turn and do it again. This trained us to deal with multiple, simultaneous attacks (called rondori). Since the whole purpose of training martial arts was to help with my daily life, I use “8 Directions” in dealing with my very busy “million things at once” lifestyle. Computers, by the way, do the same thing, only they split the tasks into microseconds of attention. We have to spend just a bit more time than that on each thing to make progress, but it’s the same principle.
And here’s another, related one:
Even if you don’t have time to finish a project, you can still make progress on it. I used to pass up working on anything that I couldn’t finish right then and there. I’d leave it until I had the requisite time. I thought that was being efficient, but actually, it wasn’t. There’s a psychological component to watching tasks pile up, especially if there’s physical evidence of them not getting done (think of the dishes piling up in your sink). Things begin to get overwhelming, and the time necessary to tackle that put-off problem is now much greater. It doesn’t take long to get into avoidance habits, and to feel stressed and unsuccessful. It actually saves time, and a certain amount of self-esteem, to do even part of a task. Do it with full attention, for as much time as you have. Then move on to the next thing. Those dishes? Do 3 or 4 of them, even if you have to leave the rest in order to go to the office, pick up the kids, etc. When you get home, there’ll only be a few dishes in the sink, and you’ll have the time to do just those few. You’ll also get a feeling of progress, which helps you tackle the rest of the jobs in your day.
Put things away as they need to be, rather than piling them up. Why walk past the coat closet to throw your coat on the dining room chair? Why move that stack of books back and forth from the kitchen table to your desk in order to have enough room to eat or work? Just put them in the bookcase. It’s hard to be disciplined enough to do this, but it does save time. And piles.
Simon Says, Simonsaysd1@yahoo.com
I can be a procrastinator, so I have created a method for myself to get things accomplished in spite of myself.
For whatever tasks or chores I have, I also have a number of things I’d rather do instead.
I make a list of the tasks in order of importance. I don’t need a list of the “rather-do’s” since I know what they are. Then I make a deal with myself: I have to get one of the tasks completed, then I get a time – out to do a “rather-do” (As long as it doesn’t take too long–going on a vacation doesn’t count.)
Then I have to do another task, then another “rather-do”, etc.
It really is a trick, too, because I often find myself in task mode and completing the tasks all at once. I think the real trick is getting started!
Yes! I consult:
1. Do not do email first thing in the morning.
2. Do not answer social calls while working.
1. I like opening my mail standing over the shredder and recycling bins...so I can throw away or shred the 80% of the mail that deserves such. The other 20% gets immediately separated into folders for bills to be paid, reading material for the bathroom, other pending, etc…..
2. Making the following regular monthly appointments at the time of the service, like the next haircut appointment as I leave the current one.
3. I also like answering all business phone call voice messages before the day is over, no matter what.
4. Always having two extras on hand of office supply essentials, like printer ink cartridges, reams of paper, shipments of blank checks, etc.
5. Before leaving the office, making a list of what needs to be done the next day.
6. Having ONE calendar.